Sunday, October 12, 2008

Working at Grandma's

So I got the chance to actually work on the system. Thanksgiving dinner (lunch) at Grandma's.

I configured Geany to be relatively bare bones. As mentioned, F11 toggles fullscreen, and I set up F12 to toggle the bar at the bottom (i.e. a Terminal). I really wish there was a way to have Geany set the focus to the Terminal, but oh well.

One of the first things I had to do this morning was introduce some 'nix style timer sync code. Fortunately for me, I'd already written some for the iPhone build, so it was a matter of copying and pasting from my Objective C mess.

Using the track pad as a mouse isn't that bad. I'm actually more used to the joystick like nubs, but this is usable. An related note, it seems the touch message on a touch pad (not a drag, a touch and release) sends a short burst of a mouse click/release message, a quarter of a second or slightly longer. Well, I found that interesting. ;)

I actually fixed a significant bug at Grandma's house, so when I got home I had to commit my change. I almost never use the command line svn to checkout and commit stuff, so I had to re-learn that.

svn ci -m "Message"

Message field is required. Techincally a good thing, but I have to admit a part of me wanted to "QWERTYUIOP" those commits. ;)

Being "sort of" on the road is one of those situations I'd like to have GIT, but lazy 'ol me enjoys the comfort of explorer integrated version control (TortoiseSVN, and whatever that Mac one I use is called).

I've since fixed a couple more little bugs on the machine, before putting it to rest. I didn't take exact calculations yet, but I might have actually got 3 hours (with some to spare) out of the Aspire One. This was with WIFI off, screen brightness jacked down, with the most intensive stuff being the odd compiling burst, and running my game (which I'm speed limiting 'cause it runs too fast).

I want to talk a little about a brief analysis of the video hardware, but I'll do than in another post.

No comments: