Saturday, October 11, 2008

Intalling Console Applications

So from my stock Aspire One, I've run and installed the following packages.

yum install gcc (GCC compiler)
yum install gcc-c++ (C++ support for GCC)
yum install svn (Subversion version control)
yum install make (GNU Make)
yum install mesa-libGL-devel (OpenGL "gl.h" development library)
yum install mesa-libGLU-devel (OpenGL "glu.h" utility library)

All these files came from the Fedora Core 8 repository.

GCC is version 4.1.2 (2007-09-25)
SVN is version 1.4.4
MAKE is version 3.81

SDL I'd prefer to download myself, rather than rely on whatever lives in the Fedora 8 repository. So I did.

http://www.libsdl.org

SDL version 1.2.13

SDL-1.2.13-1.i386.rpm (The shared libraries)
SDL-devel-1.2.13-1.i386.rpm (The header files for development)
SDL_mixer-devel-1.2.8-1.i386.rpm (The header files for audio playback)

SDL_mixer 1.2.8 (or a better SVN version) is already installed on the Aspire One, so you only need the headers.

Next I was going to install Geany, but the Fedora Core 8 repository only has version 0.11. The current version is up to version 0.14. So I googled "Geany RPM 0.14" and found a neat site:

http://rpm.pbone.net

An RPM search engine essentially.

Some kung fu later, the file I wanted was "geany-0.14-1.fc8.i386.rpm". Technically, I might be able to use the i586 versions, but I haven't tried yet.

So there we have it. Everything is installed. Now... what's next?

No comments: