Sunday, October 12, 2008

Some further software tests

Ok, so I did some more tests.

Renoise is music tracking software. It's cross platform. The only down side of Renoise is it only supports a minimum resolution of about 700 pixels tall. That aside, I've been meaning to try the software out.

It does run, and can almost play the demo songs. Two of them play almost flawlessly with CPU usage check disabled. Just a few skips.

So by that, you can probably do well with it if you kept the FX to a minimum. You'll probably want to enable a larger virtual desktop while running, so you can scroll down.

Something to try later would be Aldrin (Buzz Tracker derivative).


Also, I decided to do some rough boot benchmarks. I have the "elevator=noop" optimization enabled, so I might be getting better performance.

My boot process goes like this.


0 Seconds - Push the Power Button

Between these, what appears to be the Acer BIOS pops up and goes away.

8 Seconds - Acer Logo gone, from on screen artifacts, assume to be running the grub bootloader now.

Another Acer logo with the "Aspire One" logo pops up quickly, and disappears.

14 Seconds - Cursor appears on a black screen.

The background loads, without icons.

21 Seconds - Icons are loaded and I can start an application.

At this point I can double click on an icon, and in the case of "Geany", it'll start in 2 seconds.

Waiting until the 54 Second mark, it'll be connected to my Wifi. It's possible I have another Wifi set as my primary, so I may be able to shave some time off this.

That's the startup process. Arguably, Linpus might be taking 13 seconds to boot up in to a usable state currently. I could be off, and it's actually taking 15 as promised.

These numbers are me with a stopwatch looking at the screen, tapping both the power and start button at the same time. I can't be 100% when the BIOS or grub starts and ends, but compared to my desktop that boots in like 3 minutes, this is insane.

No comments: