Sunday, October 19, 2008

Updated my BIOS

Apparently the latest Acer BIOS improves the battery life. How can I say no to that? ;)

Also fixes a problem with BIOS recovery some people have experienced. Good. So the sooner I get this on there, the sooner I'll be able to do safer BIOS updates.

I took my USB key and made it in to a flash key following these instructions.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html

Downloaded the BIOS from Acer Europe's server.

ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_one_110/bios/

Made a FreeDOS bootable key, and copied the firmware "3.305" to the key. Booted the key like I booted my recovery Linux (F12 on boot).
  • Hit enter
  • Selected option 5
  • Ignored the errors and switched to the C: drive
  • Ran the batch file (3305.bat)
Done.

No comments: